Monday, March 5, 2007

The Baxter

THE BAXTER (2005)
Dir. by Michael Showalter
Starring Michael Showwalter, Elizabeth Banks, Michele Williams

Why did all my friends hate this movie? We all love Stella and The State, yet all I heard were terrible reviews. A certain amount of terrible reviews will ALWAYS provoke me to watch a movie (Brown Bunny, Last Days, etc.) out of self-destructive curiousity. Turns out I really liked The Baxter.

It was very simple. Mr. Showalter has clearly never written and directed a film. But he didn't fail, he just made a simple romantic comedy. I appreciated the fact that it was a TRUE romantic comedy, and not just a romantic movie, the way some recent romantic comedies claim to be funny and are not. The humor was simple too, employing Showalter's classic lines ("...another big word") and usual cast-mates. I never mind a jogging Michael Ian Black, never.

I even forgave the use of the Tiny Detail Wrecks Engagement technique. I can never buy it when couples doubt their wedding plans because of a small fight or action (Meet the Parents, Father of the Bridge, etc.). Here, I just pretended he was making fun of those movies. Which may be true. But probably wasn't. It was probably a lack of plot points. But I can pretend.

My advice: Only expect to like this movie if: 1. you already like Mr. Showalter's previous works and 2. you are in or starting a relationship. If you are single, avoid this movie.